Dr. Ivette Z. O’Brien is the Director, Business Information Systems and Requirements, Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. She assists the commander in managing the center's mission support activities in support of the 2,200-person primary subordinate unit. Dr. O'Brien leads AFCEC's strategic engagement programs, execution of personnel development and training programs, performance management, recognition programs, climate assessment and analysis, emergency management, commanders inspection programs, strategic planning, governance, and workflow management, tasking, and tracking.
As the functional bridge between the civil engineer enterprise and information technology support, she ensures strategic goals and objectives are enabled through budgeted, funded and improved IT delivery to support mission requirements.
Dr. O'Brien started her career after being commissioned in 1989 as a distinguished graduate from the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus, Air Force Reserve Training Corps program. She retired in 2011 at the rank of lieutenant colonel. During her active-duty Air Force career, she held assignments at the base, combatant command and field operating agency levels.
She continued her career with the Air Force serving in various positions within the civil engineer community. Prior to her current assignment, Dr. O’Brien was the Installation Management
Branch Chief, Detachment 4, AFIMSC, Ramstein Air Base, Germany, where she led a team in the management and oversight of environmental, real property, housing, and entomology programs across U.S. European Command and United States Air Forces in Europe/ Air Forces Africa Command.
1990 Bachelor's of science, Chemical Engineering, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez
1994 Master’s in Environmental Engineering, University of Texas, San Antonio
1995 Air Force Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Doctorate in Environmental Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2008 Air War College, Correspondence
1. 1990 – 1994, Industrial Hygiene Consultant, Armstrong Laboratory, Brooks AFB, Texas
2. 1994 – 1996, Bioenvironmental Engineer, 59th Medical Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. 1996 – 1999, Chief, Environmental Quality Branch, Detachment 3, Armstrong Laboratory, Kadena AB, Japan
4. 1999 – 2002, Doctoral Student, University of Colorado at Boulder
5. 2002 – 2005, Deputy Chief, Environmental Quality Division, Air Force Center for Engineering and the Environment, Brooks-City Base, Texas
6. 2005 – 2008, Chief, Bioenvironmental Engineering Flight and Deputy Squadron Commander, 27th Fighter Wing, Cannon AFB, N.M.
7. 2008 – 2009, Wing Inspector General, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon AFB, N.M.
8. 2009 – 2011, Command Bioenvironmental Engineer, U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. 2011 – 2012, Chief, Programs Section, Environmental Restoration Branch, Air Force Center for Engineering and the Environment, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
10. 2012 – 2015, Chief, Environmental Quality Technical Support Branch, Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
11. 2015 – 2017, Chief, Facilities Operations and Planning Support Section, Installation Engineering Division, Installation Support Directorate, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
12. 2017 – 2020, Deputy Director, 52nd Mission Support Group, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
13. 2020, Chief, Installation Management Branch, Detachment 4, AFIMSC, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
14. 2021 – present, Director, Business Information Systems and Requirements, Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Joint Base San Antonio – Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Civilian Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
USAFE-AFAFRICA Air Force Association Outstanding Air Force Civilian Senior Manager of the Year
Air Force Medical Service Outstanding Field Grade Base Bioenvironmental Engineer of the Year
Air Combat Command Outstanding Field Grade Base Bioenvironmental Engineer of the Year
Air Education and Training Command Company Grade Officer Bioenvironmental Engineer of the Year
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Military Officer Association of America
Society of American Military Engineers
Certified Industrial Hygienist
(Current as of January 2021)