Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
Four Lakes Communications Station, Washington, was originally constructed in 1951 by the U.S. Army as a Nike missile facility. In 1961 it was transferred to the Air Force, who licensed the property to the state of Washington for use by the Washington Air National Guard as a communications facility.
Four Lakes was recommended for closure by the Defense Base Realignment and Closure Commission in 2005. The base was officially closed December 31, 2009.
AFCEC worked closely with the Environmental Protection Agency and the Washington State Department of Ecology to ensure environmental cleanup activities satisfied all regulatory standards while protecting human health and the environment. There is no known environmental cleanup cost anticipated at this time.
AFCEC achieved Whole Base Transfer in 2011. The Cheney School District in Cheney, Washington, has received the former Air Force property as a result of a Department of Education-sponsored transfer of 63 acres for public benefit. The district is planning to use existing buildings for maintenance and administrative purposes while warehouses will be used as food and other storage as needed.
Local Redevelopment Authority
Cheney School District - No LRA
520 4th St
Cheney, Washington 99004
Phone: (509) 559-4547