Former Ontario Air National Guard Base (BRAC 1995)

Summary
Location: Ontario, California
Total Acreage: 12 Acres
Closed: September 1998

History
In 1921, local flyers organized the Ontario Aircraft Corporation to begin flying the "Jennie" Bi-plane aircraft. In 1929, the corporation graded a small dirt landing strip. The Works Progress Administration began construction on two concrete runways in 1941. The airport continued general aviation usage until the start of World War II. During its tenure as an army airfield, Ontario Army Air Field encompassed about 845 acres. In 1942, after the Army's acquisition of the property, the 311th Air Base Squadron was activated. The airfield fell under the jurisdiction of the 4th Air Force, headquartered at Hamilton Army Airfield, California. The 69th Observation Group arrived on June 1, 1942, and the airfield became known as the Ontario Observation Aerodrome. Training ceased at the end of World War II. An Air National Guard Training Station was established at the airport in 1949. In 1995 the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission closed Ontario Air National Guard Station and relocated the 148th Combat Communications Squadron and the 210th Weather Flight to March AFB, California. 



Ontario ANGB News