Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Michigan, served primarily as a combat crew and bomber training base throughout its 70-year history. Since its establishment in 1923, Wurtsmith played an important role in World War II, Vietnam and the Persian Gulf War, hosting the 134th Army Air Force Base Fighter Unit and 379th Bombardment Wing respectively.
Wurtsmith was selected for closure under the 1991 Base Realignment and Closure decision and offically closed June 30, 1993. Wurtsmith is one of 40 former installations managed by the Air Force Civil Engineer Center.
AFCEC continues to work closely with the Environmental Protection Agency and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality to ensure environmental cleanup activities satisfy all regulatory standards while protecting human health and theh environment. AFCEC has invested more than $85 million on BRAC cleanup actions at the former installation. The cost to complete cleanup is another $34.3 million.
AFCEC has transferred 4,354 acres to the Charter Township of Oscoda. Today, the Wurtsmith district is home to more than 40 businesses and government agencies providing over 1,300 jobs for the local economy, including the Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport Authority, community center, public library and a community college. Also contributing to the economy is 700 condominiums, townhouses, duplexes and single-family homes converted from former base housing.
Wurtsmith Document Archive