Former Four Lakes Communications Station
Published May 09, 2013
Four Lakes Communications Station, Wash., was originally constructed in 1951 by the U.S. Army as a Nike missile facility. In 1961 it was transferred to the U.S. Air Force who licensed the property to the state of Washington for use by the Washington Air National Guard as a communications facility.
Four Lakes was recommended for closure by the Defense Base Realignment and Closure Commission in 2005. The base was officially closed December 31, 2009. Today the former Four Lakes Communications Station is one of 40 former installations managed by the Air Force Civil Engineer Center in San Antonio, Texas.
AFCEC worked closely with the Environmental Protection Agency and the Washington State Department of Ecology to ensure environmental cleanup activities satisfied all regulatory standards while protecting human health and the environment. There is no known environmental cleanup cost anticipated at this time.
AFCEC achieved Whole Base Transfer in 2011. The Cheney School District in Cheney, Wash., has received the former Air Force property as a result of a Department of Education-sponsored transfer of 63 acres for public benefit. The district is planning to use existing buildings for maintenance and administrative purposes while warehouses will be used as food and other storage as needed.
There are no known environmental or other issues at Four Lakes, however, the Air Force maintains regular communication with the Cheney School District and is prepared to address any issues that may arise.