Former General Mitchell Air Reserve Station
Published May 09, 2013
General Mitchell Air Reserve Station (GMARS), Wis., was established in 1941 as General Mitchell Field. The base was home to the 440th Airlift Wing and most notably supported paratroop and glider missions during World War II.
GMARS was recommended for closure by the Defense Base Realignment and Closure Commission in 2005. The base was officially closed February 2, 2008. Today GMARS is one of 40 former installations managed by the Air Force Civil Engineer Center in San Antonio, Texas.
AFCEC worked closely with the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Environmental Protection to ensure environmental cleanup activities satisfied all regulatory standards while protecting human health and the environment. Cleanup actions included removing several oil and water separators. Soil surrounding the tanks was tested and over-excavated to ensure petroleum contamination was removed.
AFCEC achieved Whole Base Transfer of the 102-acre GMARS property in 2010. Today the former base is home to Milwaukee County's MKE Regional Business Park which leases hangar and office space to support the General Mitchell International Airport and other business customers.
The Air Force and its partners will continue to work together to support environmental cleanup for the benefit of redevelopment and the community.