Former Carswell AFB, Texas
Published February 08, 2013
Carswell Air Force Base, Texas, served primarily as a training base to support a variety of heavy bombing aircraft since its establishment in 1942. Carswell trained more than 4,000 students in B-24s and provided Airmen and equipment in World War II, Vietnam and the Persian Gulf War.
Carswell AFB was recommended for closure by the U.S. Department of Defense Base Realignment and Closure Commission in 1991. The base was officially closed Sept. 30, 1993. After its closure as an active-duty installation, Carswell became the first joint reserve base. Now controlled by the Navy, a portion of the former air force base is home to the Texas National Guard. Today, the former Carswell AFB is one of 40 former installations managed by the Air Force Civil Engineer Center in San Antonio, Texas.
AFCEC continues to work closely with the Environmental Protection Agency and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to ensure environmental cleanup activities satisfy all regulatory standards while protecting human health and the environment. AFCEC has invested $22.4 million on BRAC cleanup actions at the former installation. The cost to complete cleanup is another $660,000.
AFCEC achieved Whole Base Transfer in 2007. The Westworth Redevelopment Authority has transformed the former base into a high-quality, multi-use urban development. Commercial developments include a mixture of larger retailers and small shops with restaurants and planned office buildings.
The Air Force and its partners will continue to work together to complete environmental cleanup for the benefit of the community.
(Current as of December 2012)