Former Griffiss Air Force Base, N.Y.
Published February 06, 2013
Griffiss Air Force Base, N.Y., was established in 1942 as an air depot during World War II providing engine maintenance and repair throughout the war. During its time as an active-duty installation, Griffiss also supported electronic research and bomber missions.
Griffiss AFB was recommended for realignment by the U.S. Department of Defense Base Realignment and Closure Commission in 1993. The base was officially realigned Sept. 30, 1995. Today, the former Griffiss AFB is one of 40 former installations managed by the Air Force Civil Engineer Center in San Antonio, Texas.
AFCEC continues to work closely with the Environmental Protection Agency and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to ensure environmental cleanup activities satisfy all regulatory standards while protecting human health and the environment. AFCEC has invested more than $170 million on BRAC cleanup actions at the former installation. The cost to complete cleanup is another $11.2 million.
The Griffiss Local Development Corporation manages the redevelopment of the former Griffiss AFB, including Griffiss Business and Technology Park, a 3,500-acre development with nearly 80 businesses employing approximately 3,300 people in the technology, manufacturing, aviation, office, education and recreation industries. Several Air Force agencies also remain at Griffiss including the Air Force Research Laboratory-Rome, Defense Financing and Accounting Service Center and Eastern Air Defense Sector.
The Air Force and its partners will continue to work together to complete environmental cleanup for the benefit of the community.
(Current as of December 2012)