Former England Air Force Base, La.
Published February 06, 2013
England Air Force Base, La., was constructed as Alexandria Municipal Airport in 1942 and activated as Alexandria Army Air Base later that year. In 1955, the base was officially designated as a permanent Air Force facility and renamed England AFB in honor of Lt. Col. John. B. England, who conducted more than 108 combat missions during World War II. The base is best known for its flying, bomber and aircraft maintenance missions.
England AFB was recommended for realignment by the U.S. Department of Defense Base Realignment and Closure Commission in 1991. The base was officially closed July 15, 1992. Today, the former England AFB is one of 40 former installations managed by the Air Force Civil Engineer Center in San Antonio, Texas.
AFCEC continues to work closely with the Environmental Protection Agency and Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality to ensure environmental cleanup activities satisfy all regulatory standards while protecting human health and the environment. AFCEC has invested $49 million on BRAC cleanup actions at the former installation. The cost to complete cleanup is another $2.8 million.
AFCEC achieved Whole Base Transfer in 2011. The England Economic and Industrial Development District established England Industrial Airpark in 1992 after base closure. Since then, England Airpark has attracted 60 businesses employing 2,000 people through mixed use developments such as an international airport, numerous office and warehouse facilities, day-care center, retirement community and general housing. Alexandria International Airport serves approximately 340,000 regional passengers each year.
The Air Force and its partners will continue to work together to complete environmental cleanup for the benefit of the community.
(Current as of December 2012)