|Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total Acreage: 102 Acres
Closed: February 2008
General Mitchell Air Reserve Station (GMARS), Wisconsin, was established in 1941 as General Mitchell Field. The base was home to the 440th Airlift Wing and most notably supported paratroop and glider missions during World War II.
GMARS was recommended for closure by the Defense Base Realignment and Closure Commission in 2005. The base was officially closed February 2, 2008.
AFCEC worked closely with the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Environmental Protection to ensure environmental cleanup activities satisfied all regulatory standards while protecting human health and the environment. Cleanup actions included removing several oil and water separators. Soil surrounding the tanks was tested and over-excavated to ensure petroleum contamination was removed.
AFCEC achieved Whole Base Transfer of the 102-acre GMARS property in 2010. Today the former base is home to Milwaukee County's MKE Regional Business Park which leases hangar and office space to support the General Mitchell International Airport and other business customers.