The Plattsburg area has a long history of military tradition dating back nearly 400 years to the time when the area was discovered by Samuel de Champlain, in 1609. The U.S. Government has maintained a facility in Plattsburgh since 1812; the first permanent structures were erected between 1838 and 1842. During the Civil War, Union army volunteers from Franklin and Clinton counties organized and departed from the post at Plattsburgh. In 1915, regular troops were stationed at the post, which came to be known as the "Training Camp for Young Business Men on Lake Champlain," the forerunner of the Reserve Officer Training Corps. The post was operated by the Army from 1865 until it turned the base over to the Navy in 1944. The installation operated as an officer training station for the U.S. Navy between 1944 and 1945, during which time 2,000 men were commissioned.
Plattsburgh became the site of the U.S. Army Air Corps Convalescent Hospital in 1945. One year later, the property covered by the old Army post was transferred to the state of New York; however, the federal government reserved the option-to reclaim the property for national defense within a 10-year period. From 1946-1953, Champlain College operated at the Plattsburgh facility, educating G.I.'s returning from World War II. In 1954, the Department of Defense exercised its option to reclaim the post. The Air Force announced plans to build an air base, to include another 3,000 acres of newly purchased land. Groundbreaking for the Strategic Air Command (SAC) base was held in 1954.
PAFB was closed on September 30, 1995 as part of the third round of base closures under BRAC.
The Plattsburgh performance base remediation contract has been successful in closing sites and optimizing remedial activities.
Former Plattsburgh AFB final transfer of remaining 822 acres - In front of more than 75 business, political and community leaders, as well as former airmen who once called Plattsburgh Air Force Base home, the Air Force officially celebrated the final transfer of the remaining 832 acres to the local community for redevelopment September 2012. This made Plattsburgh the Air Force's 30th former installation transferred for community reuse.
Plattsburgh RAB Meeting
When: Dec. 10, 2019 at 7 p.m.
Where: Clinton County Gov’t Center.
Plattsburgh Document Archive
Local Redevelopment Authority
Plattsburgh Airbase Redevelopment Corporation
231 New York Rd
Plattsburgh, NY 12903
Phone: (518) 561-0232
Clinton County Airport Authority
11 Airport Rd Suite 101
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Phone: (518) 565-4794